Dr. Jirair Ratevosian’s Five-Point Plan Expands Access to Affordable Housing, Promotes Education, Improves Safety and Supports Small Businesses, Prioritizes Clean Environment, Fight for Equality for All.
LOS ANGELES (October 26, 2023) – Today, Democratic Congressional candidate Dr. Jirair Ratevosian, who is running to replace Rep. Adam Schiff in California’s 30th District, released his ‘American Dream Act” addressing the barriers affecting Angelenos and all Americans. The Act outlines five key pillars Ratevosian will tackle as a Congressmen including affordable housing, rising education costs, accessible healthcare, and the right to a fair paying job. This plan comes as a direct response to the recent hostile legislation put forward by extremist Republicans attempting to strip away rights of LGBTQ+ people, women, and our country’s most vulnerable. “More than ever, Americans struggle to afford their homes, pay for education, access affordable healthcare, and keep good paying jobs. MAGA Republicans continue to attack women and LGBTQ+ communities across the country,” remarked Ratevosian. “In Congress, I will introduce and prioritize the passage of a new ‘American Dream Act. The bill includes specific provisions to build an economy for all, provide equitable access to a clean and healthy environment, revitalize our cities, and protect the rights of women and LGBTQ+ individuals.”
Under his plan, Ratevosian’s “American Dream Act” will:
- Expand affordable housing and end homelessness by creating more pathways to affordable housing and incentivizing homeownership as a critical pathway for families to create economic security. It devotes at least 25% of earmark requests to secure unprecedented levels of funding to increase the supply of affordable housing in Los Angeles, focused on addressing the root causes of homelessness, and fostering home ownership.
- Make education affordable and available for all by ensuring every student has the opportunity to pursue quality higher education without signing up for a life-long sentence of paying student loans debts that only increase year after year due to high- interest rates and predatory lending practices.
- Create safe cities and support small businesses through tax incentives that grow small businesses, pushing for common-sense measures to prevent gun violence, and supporting law enforcement. Additionally, the bill will expand federal funding for police training, accountability, and community policing practices to help police recruitment and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.
- Protect our environment by ensuring the right to access a healthy environment, breathe clean air, and drink clean water. The bill will enforce a new carbon tax on emissions and environmental or occupational toxins, eliminate fossil fuel subsidies to oil and gas companies, and provide comprehensive climate change education so that young people grow up with an awareness for reducing their carbon footprint, furthermore supporting marginalized communities most impacted by climate change.
- Fight for a democracy for all, including LGBTQ+ people, Women and DREAMers by expanding access to voting rights, reproductive care, championing the needs of LGBTQ+ youth and families, supporting the rights of workers to organize and collectively bargain, and pursuing a permanent solution for DACA recipients and DREAMers.
ABOUT JIRAIR FOR CONGRESS:
Born and raised in Hollywood, Dr. Jirair Ratevosian is a first-generation American born to Armenian immigrant parents. With a doctoral degree in public health from Johns Hopkins University, Ratevosian has spent his career working on behalf of underserved communities championing issues that most impact these communities. As part of President Biden’s policy team recognizing the Armenian Genocide, as a legislative director to Congresswoman Barbara Lee, and as a corporate social responsibility director at Gilead, Ratevosian has used his positions for the betterment of communities in need. He currently resides in Burbank with his fiance, Micheal Ighodaro.
Ratevosian is running for Rep. Adam Schiff’s seat to be a champion for all communities within California’s District 30. California’s 30th is an open Congressional District in Los Angeles County that includes the cities of Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, West Hollywood, Sunland, Tujunga, and Hancock Park. Incumbent Adam Schiff is vacating the seat to run for the U.S. Senate. The district has the largest citizen voting-age population of Armenian-Americans in the country at 14%.
More information on Jirair’s campaign goals, which include issues of equal opportunity and
public health, can be found on his campaign website.